Diverse artistic discipline, Accessory designing, is concerned with conceiving, designing and developing different types of non-wearable accessories including home décor or objects related with comfort products as well as wearable accessories including jewellery, handbags, shoes, wallets, scarves and belts that elevate high fashion along with the style of contemporary outfits while maintaining functionality. His work usually involves handling precious and non-precious stones besides precious metals like silver, platinum, gold etc. as well as working with leather, clay, plastic etc.
A successful Accessory Designer must be able to anticipate what designs and types of accessory designs will entice demand in future. For this he must possess a deep understanding of the fashion trends, socio-cultural factors, market dynamics, tastes & preferences of end customer, available materials, tools & traditional as well as modern manufacturing techniques, etc.
Skills required for a successful career in Accessory Design:
- Creative & Designing skills: To develop unique concepts & designs, he must possess artistic flair besides excellent understanding of textures, patterns & colours. For then only, he will create accessories that enhance the overall look of the outfits.
- Passionate & Competitive spirit: His passion and competitiveness will ensure that he is in sync with the current market dynamics & fashion trends. He will mentor himself in understanding the traditional as well as modern manufacturing techniques, thereby be equipped to introduce unique concepts that will catapult him into a different league vis-à-vis his peers.
- Eye for Detail & analytical mind: Keen observation skills & analytical mind will enable him in designing functional, financially viable & profitable concepts in accessory design.
- Up to date with trends: Create appropriate financially viable products based on his comprehension of market realities, fashion trends, preferences as well as dislikes of end customer etc., thereby ensuring sync with customers taste as well as demand.
- Time Management: In order to adhere to a set deadline, he must be organised, multi-task, work long hours and should be capable of handling pressure.
- Decision making Skills: He should make well informed rational decisions after evaluating suggestions, weighing all pros and cons and looking at available alternatives.
- Communication & Networking Skills: Basis the communication skills, he will be able to comprehend the client’s requirement and sell the designed concepts to various stakeholders. Networking skills will help him in collaborating with teams from varied departments to get his designs produced.
- Knowledge of raw materials
These skills will facilitate him opportunities as well as success in following multiple disciplines:
- Leather Accessory Designer: Visualizes & designs leather accessories such as hats, purses, wallets, bags, belts etc.
- Gemmologist: Appraises & grade precious-coloured gemstones & diamonds
- Footwear/Shoe Designer: Designs and fabricates attractive & functional footwear and shoes
- Visual merchandising: Engages the audience through visual concepts and displays at the retail level besides making available the required stocks in apt quantity and at the right time.
- Fashion Designer: Conceptualizes & design outfits and/or accessories to enhance the personality of the end customer besides managing the entire production process.
- Men’s Accessory Designer: Design men’s accessories like neckwear, hats & cufflinks etc.
- Performing Arts (Film & Television) Industry: Works with writers, actors & directors to conceptualize characters to bring the story alive.
Register for Accessory Design and embark on a journey of success.