Are you looking for a deliciously fruity and tangy Mexican Candy Shot recipe with a spicy kick? We all humans have a love for fruity drinks and fun cocktails. We always try to mix various drinks to make a new drink. Sometimes this curiosity brings us to a fun and charming drink. One such drink is the Mexican Candy Shot recipe. This globally famous drink has an explosion of sweet and slightly spicy flavors and ingredients. Mexican candy features a combination of sweet fruity flavors and sour and spicy flavors. The sweet flavors are usually mango, strawberry, or watermelon and sour and spicy flavors are usually tamarinds, grapefruit, and lime.
- Shot glasses
- Cocktail shaker
- Measuring spoons
- Fine zester
- Small mixing bowl
- 5 oz fresh watermelon juice
- 2 oz tequila
- 2-3 dash Tabasco sauce or to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Lime wheel for garnish
- For the sweet Tajín-inspired rim:
- 1/2 lime zest
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp powdered chilies
Tequila — The use of silver tequila is mostly recommended, but you can use other types of tequila as per your choice. Silver tequila is the most common tequila to use for mixing with other drinks as it is clear and it can be also used in mixing cocktails like skinny margaritas and blue motorcycle drinks.
Watermelon juice — Bottled watermelon juice is fine but we recommend using fresh juice always for a better product. Some of you might like the alternative version of the shot prepared with mango or grapefruit juice instead of watermelon juice for mango or grapefruit juice. Both versions of mango or grapefruit juice are equally delicious.
Tabasco or any spicy hot sauce: This will provide the necessary hotness to the drink and add flavor to the Mexican candy shot recipe. It is most important to balance the hotness of the drink as it can be painful if the sauce is used in excessive quantities.
Lime juice — This is also an important ingredient for the shot. It can be used as a replacement for watermelon juice, mango juice, or grapefruit juice. Although, the lime juice can be used together with watermelon juice if you want to play around with the recipe.
Lime wheel — Cut the lime into the shape of wheels for the garnishing of the shot. You need to cut them as thin as possible but make sure the thickness must be enough to hold them on the glass rim.
To Granulated — Tajín is a Mexican mix of spices such as white sugar, lime zest, and powdered chilies. It is used for the sweet Tajín-inspired rim of your shot glass. It is very important to make a sweet version that balances out the sourness of the shot. The sweet version and sour version of the drink are equally famous.
- Mix in the sugar, powdered chilies, and lime zest to make your sweet Tajín mix in a small bowl.
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of the glass.
- This will help the sweet Tajín mix stick to the glass.
- Dip the shot glass into the sweet Tajín mixture to garnish the rim.
- Combine the watermelon juice, the silver Tequila, the lime juice, and the Tabasco sauce in a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake well until the shaker gets cold.
- Strain the mixture into the shot glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel inside the glass.
- You can change the ratio between the fruit juice and the tequila to adjust it to your taste.
- We recommend having 1 part tequila with 2-3 parts of fruit juice.
- Add more sugar to the mix or even a dash or two of simple syrup if your fruit is not yet ripe.